Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ARCH1142 Communications Experimental Material Modelling Workshop 2

Week One Automatic Exploration (paper)
Words (in order of pictures) machinic, dream, confinement
Week Two Text and Form Entwined (white mount board)
Text: 'The Fold'
Architect: Daniel Libeskind 'Jewish Museum of Berlin'

Week Three Body, Space, City (poster and boxboard)Martin Place; 08-09-10; 11:00am
Exiting the train station at Martin Place I experienced the void that was filled with shadows and movement created by the surrounding buildings that formed an overcast effect on this space. The deception of void where emptiness was exchanged with the rush of happenings that appeared before me immediately activated my senses. At 11am on the 8th of September Martin Place proved to be a place for social happenings, businesses, shops, banks, coffee shops, newspaper stands and performances carrying through waves of people whether they be children, adults, business people, the homeless, people walking or people on bikes. My experience of the city centre involved recording a walk down the famous strip of Martin Place and documenting the various activities that were occurring, the people that passed me and the existing structures that surrounded me. My first steps carried me outside the train station as I was welcomed with a gush of fresh air and light breeze. The strip was quiet with little human traffic; one man on his phone, another in a suit rushing off. As a strolled down the strip I noticed the tall buildings that surrounded the space in contrast to the void that I was in. Across the road I went as I waited for the little man to turn green signifying it was safe for me to walk. As I continued to stroll down the road many people passed me, as well as a man on a bicycle. In the performance space was there was NSW Public School Event "Leading the Way" where primary school children were dancing and the public, including myself could sit and enjoy the performance. Past this space a water fountain became a significant feature that blocked out all surrounding sounds as though you were separated from your experience of having just walked down Martin Place.

Week Four Extension of Difference (poster and balsa)
In my poster I have revealed the chaotic nature of the city from my experience of the task 'Body, Space, City,' through a repetition of an abstraction of the city skyline, which further relates to my experience of this course and architecture as a whole. The jagged, unsymmetrical and random cuts identify chaos with the repetition of shapes alluding to various hurdles. Each level is slightly raised higher than the last revealing the uncertainty of one's experience within the vibe of the city and the discoveries and surprises that lie ahead of you. Similarly, the all-pervasive nature of architecture tends to dissolve any semblance of order or distinction within one’s life. One cannot escape the analysis of architecture in daily life or plan when inspiration will hit or designs will flow freely. There is no absolute or definite in architecture with undefined right and wrong and a mix between working within convention and breaking boundaries. The bustling chaotic city is both reflected and defined by the frenzied process through which architecture is created. Furthermore for me this course has allowed me to explore many materials in model making which were unfamiliar to me before. Since this has been a significant role in teaching me how to use each I have represented the process of materials in each layer to reflect what I have gained from this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment